Go to a movie or go out to dinner with yourself!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Another action step from “Always Thriving Sister-Babes” workbook: I tried taking myself out to dinner last night and being fully present (no cell phones, no texting.) I lasted about 15 minutes before I reached for my phone! It was very difficult for me to be there by myself without some type of activity, like something to read, writing etc.

I want to say that I enjoyed my own company, but how can that be true when I felt so uncomfortable? I felt bored and I felt lonely.

Curious if any other ladies have tried this yet?

• Elizabeth
      Participant

Jennique, I’m so glad you’ve raised this topic. I do this often, go out on my own. I love it! Julia Cameron calls it the Artist’s Date. It’s great for garnering Muse waves. I have my favourite cafes, cinemas and hang outs, which have terrific atmosphere. I don’t touch my phone, but I may sneak out my sketch book from my hand bag. But here’s the thing; waitresses can’t wait to wait on me! It’s as if they’re thinking – and I can feel it – hey, here’s a confident woman, not afraid to dine on her own! It’s empowering for me, empowering for them, and a lovely synergy is created.

Once I was at the Tivoli Cinema in Cambridge, which has real lounge lizard sofas, with big cushions and side tables on which to place drinks and tab nabs. I was the only person watching the film. I had the whole cinema to myself! It was amazing, and weird. I’m comfortable in my own company, and enjoy it hugely.

I think reading, jotting notes into a journal, while dining out alone is good. Ideas and insights may come.

Perhaps, Jennique, if you gave it another whirl, you may feel differently? What about a beach café, include a stroll by the sea?

• Jennique
      Participant

While it wasn’t a meal or movie out, I did take myself out for a long walk this afternoon and sat in a park. No phone. After awhile I started to cry. I think this is what I’ve been avoiding. When I got back to my hotel (I’m in Chicago for work) I sat in the hotel lounge and listened to the pianist, no distractions. It was beautiful and filled up my soul. Baby steps! Thank you for the support Elizabeth 🙂

• Elizabeth
      Participant

That’s a great start, perfect. Tears are healing.

• Jasmin
      Participant

Thanks both for your input ,am outside sitting on grass under a tree and reading here the forum listening to soul warming music and with my note pad writing when those conversations or ideas come to mind …..
      It’s been so Goddess nurturing being here Thanks

• Kelley
      Keymaster

Jennique it is awesome that you went out with yourself. Yes, we take small steps when we are tyring something new and for the first time. This is real growth. The biggest relationship we will have in this life is with yourself. We can be so attached to our gadgets, it can feel uncomfortable being in the moment without them. Crying is a healthy form of release. As you reconnect with yourself it will get easier and comfortable. This is about loving you unconditionally. Keep up the great work. Thank you, Elizabeth for sharing your wisdom. Way to go, Jasmin, this is fantastic. Sharing your experiences helps all of us to see that we in this together. And this is a safe place for us to reveal our truth. Love what you are doing Goddesses.

• Jennique
      Participant

Thank you Kelley!!

Elizabeth, your encouragement REALLY helped me.

Yay Jasmin! Love it 🙂

• Debbie
      Participant

I started out going to the movies by myself first, once I got comfortable with that, I went out to dinner by myself, now on date night I go to the movies and dinner. My fiance works weekends, hopefully he will be changing that soon.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.